Wednesday 26 August 2009

Moped capers!







Well, as J said, after an almost euphoric teaching week (believe me, going from what we left to what we have now-this is heaven!), we decided to go to the beach. The head of Primary organised a bit of a staff school trip to Koh Samed. Now I'm not one for big, jolly capers with school but the idea of 2 nights at a beach resort for about 20 quid each (that I didn't have to organise) seemed like a dream come true.

So after work on the Friday, after an hour and a half's wait for the bus, we boarded our mini bus and set off. We arrived some hours later to a waiting speed boat. At this point, in the dark, I was a bit nervous. Two and a bit days on a desert island with 20-odd other people you don't know brought visions of 'The Beach' and 'Lord of the Flies' springing to mind! The speed boat trip, which was so choppy I thought I'd dislocated my hip, didn't help. However, Samed was great. Small enough for a really good weekend break.

After a boozy Friday night (not us you understand-we merely observed!), we decided to spend Saturday on mopeds!

Samed was a funny old place. We rented 3 mopeds on one driving licence (mine) and paid 6 quid each for 24 hours-bargain.

I had very specifically informed J from days before that I wouldn't be getting on one of those things and I certainly wouldn't be under those road conditions. An hour later, I was perched on the back trying to look cool. And failing.

Was great fun though as we rode to the other end of the island and found a very swanky little beach resort. Bit too swanky for me in my mucky shorts and pyjama top (don't ask, long story). The sea was so warm it was like taking a hot bath. Just glorious.

After such a fab and relaxing day, it was a bit hairy taking the bikes back in the dark on the rather uneven roads. My hips, which had not recovered from the speed boat trip the day before, were further bashed about as the bike had no suspension. Despite this, I was having a grand old time and forgot (most of the time) that we were uninsured, had old bikes and no helmets. Wrong.

Anyway, while J leaves me to go on a school trip (with real kids this time; not overgrown ones) I am trying to find a fitness class. I'm a little bored at the gym so thought a class might juj things up a bit. Yesterday, I saw around 250 women doing a mass aerobic workout in the Tesco carpark. I was the only person who stood open-mouthed and paralysed at the sight so, I'm assuming, this is a regular occurance. Not for me I don't think...

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a little bit of Heaven! I'm not sure I would be brave enough to get on one of those mopeds so I give you a lot of credit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Fantastic!" he says, his gills turning green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi jon and den love dean x nicola staniland

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello jon & denise,
    weve just found your blog and learnt how to use it.
    it sounds like your having a fantastic time.we are so jelouus.
    lets hope we have a good year so we can afford to come and see you both soon.
    will keep in touch
    lots of love dean x nicola staniland xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey folks there's more pics at: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1363824014&v=photos

    By the way Pudding, what's with all the deleted posts peppering this Blog?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merely grammatical old chap! First I failed to open the inverted comms, then I put a question mark where an exclamation mark was required. This is what Tetley's Bitter does to you.

    ReplyDelete